Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry

International students menu

Health care for international students

There is a Health Centre at our Mile End campus. You (and your spouse/dependant children, if they are accompanying you to the UK) are entitled to free healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS) if you are registered on a course lasting six months or more. You will still need to pay for certain standard charges such as prescribed medication, dental treatment and eyesight tests. If your course lasts for less than six months, you should make sure that you have adequate medical insurance cover.

If you are an EEA national, you are entitled to free healthcare under the NHS, as described above, regardless of the length of your course. You should complete form E128 in your home country, before travelling to the UK. The UK also has reciprocal healthcare agreements with a limited number of other countries outside the EEA, which entitle nationals of those countries to free NHS treatment regardless of the length of your course. Free treatment does not generally apply to pre-existing medical conditions.

For further information about the countries included, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service [new window].

Bookmark and Share
Return to top